You can qualify directly for a yearlong, paid innovation fellowship at the BBC, Guardian, ZEIT Online, Boston Globe and Al Jazeera by rising to the Knight-Mozila News Innovation Challenges (#MoJo) during a news jam in your city. You can also submit your brilliant ideas online until close of business EST on June 5.
In 15 cities around the world, hacks (journalists) and hackers (developers) are teaming up to build prototypes that help journalists take advantage of the open web and engage with citizens in new ways. You can join, too.
We’re tackling three design challenges:
- Unlocking Video: Tell stories better w/ video online
- Beyond Comment Threads: Re-invent commenting and discussion
- People-Powered News: What would you build to make news better for the people who create and read it?
Innovators from San Francisco to Buenos Aires, from Guatemala City to Chicago, are sketching ideas on napkins, sharing experiences about journalism and the web, and being rewarded with beer (or MoJoitos) and good company. Particularly exciting is a partnership with Hacks/Hackers, a network of journalists and technologists, in several cities.
You can still join some jams in person:
- NYC, May 26 – featuring Clay Shirky (ITP), Amanda Michel (ProPublica), Ro Gupta (Disqus)
- Dundee May 27 – brought to you by Product Design Dundee, with awesome Guardian coverage
- London, May 28 – hosted with the Guardian offices
- Birmingham, UK, May 31 – led by the talented @paulbradshaw
- Manchester, June 1 – hosted with the BBC
- Vancouver, June 1 – a great set of hosts
- Santiago, June 4 – spaces went like hot cakes. We’ve got lots of MoJo materials in Spanish, thanks to Renata.
Read up on the past action in:
- Bay Area/ SF, April 27 – roundup by Knight Garage
- Buenos Aires, April 28 – interview with organizer Mariano Blejman
- BCNI Philly, April 30 – video by Phillip Smith
- Boston, May 2 – coverage in Boston.com
- San Salvador, May 11 – photos and a recap
- Guatemala City, May 13 – photos and a recap
- Seattle, May 19 – great report-back by Jacob Caggiano
- Chicago, May 24 – coming soon
These innovation jams are also teeing up major projects and partnerships for the forthcoming Mozilla Festival, Media, Freedom and the Web, this fall in London. Stay tuned to learn how get involved, and visit Mozilla Journalism (@KnightMozilla) for more info on MoJo.