Localization is such an important factor in accessibility and inclusion. Thrilled by Atul’s leadership in making Thimble localization a reality!
Here’s how it works:
- To translate: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/friendlycode/
- Live localizations: http://transifex-thimble.toolness.org/
- File bugs: https://github.com/mozilla/friendlycode/issues
- More instructions and FAQs: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/thimble-l10n
- Create an account with Transifex: https://www.transifex.com
- Go to https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/friendlycode/
- Click Resources in the top navigation.
- Select with “fc/nls/ui”. It’s the most widely visible set of translation strings and therefore the highest priority.
- If starting a new language, click “Add translation.” Enter the language you’re translating into. Then click “Translate online.”
- If you don’t have access to steady bandwidth or want to work on the translation for several sessions, you may wish instead to “Upload file”, which is more complicated.
- If you are reviewing or adding to an existing translation, click on the language and select “Translate now”.
- Go through the strings with your best translation. If you’re confused about the context of a string, click “details” in the web interface to see if there’s a comment that helps explain it better.
- Note: Some strings contain code snippets. Please preserve these and translate only natural words.
- When you’re done, don’t forget to save. If you’re working offline, you can upload your file now.
- After saving/uploading, you can preview your changes.
- In the “locale” selector at the top-left of the page, select the language you localized.
- You can also help by reviewing and proofreading other languages.
That’s it! Keen to hear what you think.